A new report from industry analyst and economic forecaster, BIS Shrapnel, compares figures from 2003 with the latest data for the Australian home improvements market, which includes the installation of residential swimming pools and spas.
It shows the total value of swimming pool and spa construction and installation reached $1.15bn. In-ground pools made up the bulk of the sector, with a value of $881.5m.
It shows a decline of about 10 per cent for the in-ground pool market compared with 2003. However, the aboveground pool market leapt 51 per cent, and the spa market increased 14 per cent in value.
The research shows:
• There were 33,000 in-ground swimming pools constructed during 2006, with 38% of this activity concentrated in Queensland, 27% in New South Wales and 20 per cent in WA.
• There were 32,100 above-ground pools constructed during 2006 with 42% of this activity concentrated in New South Wales alone.
• In 2006, there were 30,500 outdoor spas installed, with almost one-third (31%) installed in Victoria and a further 28% in New South Wales.
• On a national basis, the average cost of an in-ground pool installation was $26,713 compared to $2,673 for an above-ground pool and $6,095 for an outdoor spa. This represented an increase in average cost for both in-ground pools and above ground pools, while spa installations remained similar to 2003.
• The value of the market for in-ground swimming pools fell back to $881.5 million (includes labour costs where the project was undertaken by a contractor or tradesman), a 10% decline on 2003.
• The value of the market for above-ground swimming pools increased by 51% between 2003 and 2006, reaching a level of $85.8 million.
• The market value for outdoor spas reached $185.9 million in 2006, an increase of 14% over the value of the 2003 market.
The full report includes the following pool and spa related data: – Incidence of swimming pool/outdoor spa installations in dwellings – Number and incidence of swimming pool/outdoor spa installations, 2000–2006 – Value and average cost of swimming pool/outdoor spa installations, 2000–2006 – Who undertook the work on swimming pools/outdoor spas – Cost of swimming pools and outdoor spas by type of pool – Age of dwelling of households installing a swimming pool/outdoor spa – Household income of households installing a swimming pool/outdoor spa – Age of household head of households installing a swimming pool/outdoor spa.
The full report is available for download at www.bis.com.au/reports/home_improvements_r.html, or you can call Ross Trewartha on (02) 9959 5924.