The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) is introducing more reforms in September as a result of amendments to the legislation that governs registered building practitioners.
Key areas of change are:
• From 1 September 2016 it will be an offence for a builder to appoint a private building surveyor in respect of domestic building work.
• Prospective Owner-builders will also have to undergo an online eligibility assessment and achieve a 100% pass rate.
• Introduction of a new 5 year registration period for building practitioners.
• From 1 September 2016 new grounds for disciplinary action and a new process for conducting disciplinary proceedings against building practitioners will be introduced.
• From 1 December 2016, Owner-builders will not be able to enter into a contract with a person to carry out work over $5000 unless that person is a registered building practitioner.
SPASA Victoria is conducting sessions to explain the changes, with the next one at the Member Meeting at Waverley RSL, 161 Coleman Parade, Glen Waverley on 31 August at 5.30pm. Representatives from the VBA & CAV together with SPASA’s construction lawyer and Board members will be available to discuss these and other pending regulation changes.
Contact Rose for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org