An updated Certificate IV in Swimming Pool and Spa Building has been drafted. It includes ten new trade-related units, as well as business and project management skills associated with in-ground and aboveground swimming pools and spas.
Spiros Dassakis, COO of SPASA Australia, says that as the peak industry body and the only RTO dedicated to the swimming pool and spa industry in Australia, SPASA has been working with Artibus Innovation on the new draft. Artibus has been commissioned by the national government to bring the new draft to fruition.
He says SPASA has been driving the revision of the pool and spa building qualification and now the industry has the opportunity to provide feedback.
“Your say is important,” he says. “To capture stakeholder feedback, Artibus Innovation has developed a short survey for you to complete to tell us what you think. Deadline for feedback is 22 May 2019.”
What does the new draft qualification look like?
Competency must be demonstrated by undertaking 18 units of competency made up of 10 core units and eight electives units.
1. PSPGEN028 Provide a quotation
2. CPCCBC4003 Select, prepare and administer a construction contract
3. CPCSPSXXXX Investigate and prepare pool and spa sites
4. CPCSPSXXXX Select, procure and store construction materials for swimming pools and spa projects
5. CPCSPSXXXX Install swimming pool and spa sub-soil drainage
6. CPCSPSXXXX Install swimming pool and spa recirculation system pipework and system components
7. CPCSPSXXXX Install prefabricated fibreglass swimming pools and spas
8. CPSSPSXXXX Apply and finish sprayed concrete for swimming pools and spa shells
9. CPCSPSXXXX Commission ancillary pool systems and hand over to client
10. CPCCBC4021 Minimise waste on the building and construction site
Group A Electives
1. CPCSPSXXXX Undertake interior finishing of swimming pools and spas
2. CPCCCO3049 Apply and finish sprayed concrete
3. CPCCCO4001 Supervise concreting work
4. CPCCWF3008 Tile domestic pools and spas
Group B Electives (must include 4 units from Group B)
1. CPCCBC4004 Identify and produce estimated costs for building and construction projects
2. CPCCBC4005 Produce labour and material schedules for ordering
3. CPCCBC4007 Plan building or construction work
4. CPCCBC4024 Resolve business disputes
5. BSBCUS301 Deliver and monitor a service to customers
6. BSBSMB401 Establish legal and risk management requirements of small business
7. BSBSMB421 Manage small business finances
Note: Students can choose up to 2 elective units may be chosen from other current Training Packages provided they do not duplicate the outcome of another unit chosen for the qualification.